VAD: African Studies Association in Germany
- VAD is the leading association of Africa researchers in Germany.
- Its academic character is documented through its commitment to contemporary and interdisciplinary African studies.
- VAD organises congresses at various locations of Africa research in Germany every two years.
- The IAA has served as the VAD’s permanent secretariat for several decades. The director of the IAA is a member of the VAD’s executive board and is also the association’s treasurer.
- VAD is involved in the publication of the IAA’s scholarly journal Africa Spectrum.
AEGIS: Africa-Europe Group for Interdisciplinary Studies
- AEGIS promotes cooperation between its European member institutions in research, teaching, and publications.
- Through academic cooperation and joint efforts in knowledge transfer on Africa, the inner-European borders of Africa-related social sciences and humanities are overcome.
- The IAA has been a full member of the network since 2003. Additional AEGIS members include research institutes in Barcelona, Basel, Bayreuth, Birmingham, Bordeaux, Cambridge, Edinburgh, Frankfurt, Ghent, Gothenburg, Cologne, Copenhagen, Leiden, Leipzig, Leuven, Lisbon, London, Mainz, Naples, Oxford, Paris, Porto, Roskilde, Trondheim, and Uppsala.
- The IAA is actively involved in the “European Conference on African Studies”, which is held every two years. The next meeting is scheduled for 2015 in Paris.
- Along with the AEGIS member institute African Studies Centre in Leiden and the Dag Hammarskjöld Foundation in Uppsala, the IAA publishes the Africa Yearbook as a reference work on all countries south of the Sahara.
Especially in externally funded research projects, the IAA works closely with African partners. These include:
Ghana Center for Democratic Development (CDD), Ghana
Université Gaston Berger (UGB), Saint Louis, Senegal
Department of Political Science, University of Stellenbosch, South Africa
Laboratoire d'Etudes et de Recherches sur les Dynamiques Sociales et le Développement Local (LASDEL), Niger
Institut de Recherche Empirique en Économie Politique IREEP), Benin
Institute of Economic and Social Research (INESOR), University of Zambia