The conference shall address the following questions:
- How can we explain the increasing outbreak of wars in the region in the aftermath of the “Arab Spring”?
- What is novel in these wars compared to their precedents in the region?
- How is it possible to exit these wars and to prevent a further spillover of violence?
- What can we learn from former wars (e.g. the Lebanese Civil War) to end the recent ones?
The conference refers to a multidimensional analysis as it takes into consideration:
- Comparing cases locally, regionally and globally,
- Studying external interference and spillover effects
- Developing scenarios for conflict resolution.