As one of Europe’s leading research institutions for comparative area studies, the GIGA seeks to train talented young researchers in regional studies, research methods, and theory.
The GIGA Doctoral Programme's academic curriculum provides students in their first academic year with the necessary methodological skills to
- pose and develop good research questions, hypotheses, and theoretical frameworks;
- demonstrate a command and understanding of the basics of each methodological approach;
- participate in advanced courses on methods, either at partner institutions or summer schools.
At each stage of their studies, doctoral students are supported by the academic staff in
- successfully accomplishing their research projects;
- defending their research from a political, historical, sociological, and/or economic perspective;
- publishing their results in high-ranking journals and with renowned publishers.