Eloquence and rhetorical skills are a pre-requisite for academic success and professional advancement. But what is rhetoric? What are the key rhetorical techniques available? How can one practice them to her or his advantage? This workshop helps participants to answer these questions. More specifically, this workshop provides a general introduction to the idea of rhetoric and its conceptual background, it explores different rhetorical techniques and their objectives, it provides an opportunity to individually prepare to translate theory into practice and it gives the allows students to practice and receive feedback. On the first day, participants attend the workshop all together as a single group. On the second day, the participants join the trainer for a series of one-to-one sessions characterised by a dedicated tailor-made approach.
Contents in brief:
- What rhetoric actually is and how it has been developed and conceptualised.
- Understanding how the audience responds and how to adapt accordingly (the rhetorical situation).
- Which rhetorical theories can be employed to achieve different goals (the rhetorical triangle).
- How to implement and practice rhetorical techniques to best suit one’s own needs.
- Tailor-made one to one practice and feedback with the trainer to achieve faster better results.
The course will take place online.
About the trainer
Matteo Garavoglia is Research Associate at the University of Oxford’s Centre for International Studies and Adjunct Professor at the Hertie School of Governance in Berlin. Matteo worked with Impulsplus for over a decade.