GIGA IAA - News
Projects | Conferences/Events/Lectures | New Publications | Personnel matters | Other updates
- Fritz Thyssen Foundation funds research project on the effectiveness of international sanctions
The Fritz Thyssen Foundation has decided to fund a research project entitled “Ineffective Sanctions?: External Sanctions and the Persistence of Autocratic Regimes”. The project will be under the guidance of the GIGA’s Research Programme 2 “Violence and Security”, part of the larger Research Team 4 “Pariah States and Sanctions”. It will be led by Dr. Christian von Soest (the main author of the grant application) and Assistant Professor Clara Portela. The head applicant is Dr. Matthias Basedau. The project will analyse the factors within and outside sanctioned states (such as Iran, Cuba, Myanmar, North Korea and Zimbabwe) that lead to the success or failure of those sanctions. The project will run for two years and will be supported by the Fritz Thyssen Foundation to the tune of €120,000. The project will start on 1 December 2011. For further enquiries, please contact Dr. Christian von Soest.
- The GIGA Institute of African Affairs, together with renowned partners, periodically organises dialogue forums in Berlin which address topical Africa-related issues:
Participation in the "Afrika-Gesprächskreis im Auswärtigen Amt" is limited to the staff of the German Federal Ministry of Foreign Affairs, other ministries, and selected research institutions.
Contact: Dr. Andreas Mehler ()
The Berlin Africa Forum is a joint discussion series of the German-African Business Association, the GIGA and the KfW Development Bank. Current issues related to economic development in Africa are discussed biannually by a selected group of Africa experts from politics, economics, academics and civil society.
Contact: Dr. Christian von Soest ()
- GIGA Focus
Afrika: (German-language version only)
Nr. 01, 2013: Erneut gewaltsamer Regimewechsel in der Zentralafrikanischen Republik (Andreas Mehler)
Nr. 12, 2012: Südafrika: Der ANC hat keine Lösung für die soziale Misere (Christian von Soest)
- GIGA Focus Global: (German-language version only)
Nr. 2, 2013: Afrika im Sog der Eurokrise (Hans-Heinrich Bass und Hans-Hermann Steinbeck)
- GIGA Working Paper:
Large-Scale Agricultural Investments under Poor Land Governance Systems: Actors and Institutions in the Case of Zambia (Kerstin Nolte)
- Mehler, Andreas (2013): Power-Sharing, in: Nicolas Cheeseman, David Anderson and Andrea Scheibler (eds.), Routledge Handbook of African Politics, Abingdon: Routledge (Flyer)
- Lay, Jann, Michael Grimm, Flore Gubert, Ousman Koriko and Christophe J Nordman(2013): Kinship ties and entrepreneurship in Western Africa, in: Journal of Small Business & Entrepreneurship, DOI:10.1080/08276331.2013 (Abstract)
- Zanker, Franzisca (2013): Legitimate representation in mediation processes: Civil society involvement in Liberia and Kenya, in: Mediation Arguments, 1, 1-20 (Full text)
- GIGA and Leuphana University Lüneburg Jointly Appoint Junior Professor
Dr. Sebastian Elischer was appointed junior professor for comparative political science at Leuphana University Lüneburg on 1 October 2012. The successful joint hiring process was the result of the close collaboration between the GIGA and the Centre for Democracy Research (ZDEMO) at the university's Institute of Political Science. Jun.-Prof. Dr. Elischer will be employed at both institutions.