The GIGA Institute of Middle East Studies
- uses local documentation to produce empirically and theoretically based analyses of country- and region-specific events, while taking into account the perspective/s of the region under examination.
- has the capacity to provide academically sound evaluations of current events.
- develops new questions for the politically relevant evaluation of the political systems, societies and economies of the Middle East.
- integrates the majority of its research activities – as a result of its continual focus on developments in the Middle East from within the framework of the GIGA’s matrix structure – within the individual research programmes (RPs) and research teams (RTs).
- provides analysis and decision-making support to interested parties, both public and private, through its various research publications; for example, GIGA Working Papers, GIGA Focus Nahost and professional journals (see Publications). Knowledge transfer and political consulting are among the IMES´s main tasks.
- fulfils an important function as an information, discussion and coordination centre for members of the German public who are interested in the Middle East.
- is a member of the German Middle East Studies Association for Contemporary Research and Documentation (DAVO).
GIGA Institute of Middle East Studies
Neuer Jungfernstieg 21 · 20354 Hamburg · Germany
Phone: +49 (0)40 - 428 25-523 · Fax: +49 (0)40 - 428 25-511
Email: · http://www.giga-hamburg.de/english/imes
Together with the Institute of African Affairs, the Institute of Asian Studies, the Institute of Latin
American Studies, and the four Comparative
Area Studies Research Programmes, the IMES forms the GIGA German Institute of
Global and Area Studies / Leibniz-Institut für Globale und Regionale